Fast + Epp is an internationally recognized structural engineering firm with a team that prioritizes creativity and simplicity. We work with all materials but are well known for our mass timber and timber-hybrid projects. We love working on architecturally expressive structures, on every scale from single-family homes to large institutional buildings. We enjoy work with a high premium on structural expression.
Fast + Epp is looking for a motivated, innovative, and ambitious individual who can collaborate and manage all R&D projects in our newly created Concept Lab. As the Concept Lab Manager, you will have the exciting opportunity to provide leadership for your projects, while ensuring projects support F+E’s design and technology pursuits. Are you passionate about research? Can you juggle multiple projects at once while prioritizing? Do you enjoy working with your hands? If so, this could be the role for you!
What is a Concept Lab?
The Concept Lab is both a physical lab space and a digital platform for structural engineering research, development, and innovation at Fast + Epp. The lab will be primarily for Fast + Epp staff as well as related industry and academic partners who will collaborate with us and/or rent the space for their own projects. Concept Lab will be located at our new headquarters office, at West 7th and Yukon St in Vancouver, BC. On the ground floor, there will be an event space, a structural testing laboratory with hydraulic UTM and testing frame, a full woodworking/steel/model shop, generous assembly space, as well as a digital fabrication area with 3D printers, laser cutters, and a 5-axis CNC. The north portion of Level 2 provides a generous conference room and library for brainstorming, as well as desk space for Concept Lab staff. The Concept Lab will be utilized to develop physical models of projects and structural components, prototyping of connections, small scale structural testing, industry events, brainstorming for Fast + Epp projects, and digital software development.
As the Concept Lab Manager, you will ensure the Concept Lab is actively working on R&D projects and providing space for research, exploration, and testing of new ideas to increase our knowledge base and confidence with technologies. This position oversees all activities within the Concept Lab including staff allocated to Lab use.
Duties – Lab Management
• Maintain a safe and organized Lab area.
• Assemble and prioritize projects and ideas for research within the lab in connection with the Technical Department.
• Provide Lab procedures and organization to allow safe and timely use of lab equipment.
• Provide safety briefings for guests.
• Run research projects and report back to staff with results and commentary.
• Supervise junior staff support within the lab in digital and physical projects.
• Liaise with Marketing and Administration Staff for coordination of lab use by external parties.
• Pursue funding for staff and projects with Governmental and NGO funding agencies.
• Provide updates on Lab projects and content for Marketing use.
• Provide training and supervision for lab users.
• Initiate projects and research to support design/technology pursuits.
Required Knowledge and Skills
• Initiative. Strong drive and ambition to move the Concept Lab idea forward for Fast + Epp.
• Strong understanding of structural testing equipment such as hydraulic universal testing machines.
• Knowledge or familiarity of general woodworking, steel, and general shop tools with hands on experience.
• Structural engineering degree or experience would be considered an asset
• General understanding and willingness to learn digital fabrication modelling technologies for 3D printers, laser cutter, CNC, etc., to facilitate model building and prototyping (CAD,CAM,CADWorks, Etc.)
• General understanding and willingness to learn digital software development tools (Rhino, Grasshopper, Karamba, Dynamo, Etc.)
• Knowledge of engineering research techniques would be an asset.
• Awareness of grants and funding opportunities.
• Professional, friendly, and cooperative personality.
• Capacity for regular multitasking with the ability to set priorities effectively.
• Consistently bring tasks to completion in a timely manner despite regular interruption.
• Strong interpersonal skills. Ability to work with a variety of industry related parties (engineers, architects, builders, fabricators, etc.).
• Strong organization skills to manage multiple projects and simultaneous tasks.
Hours and Days of Work
37.5 hour / 5-day Work Week; Monday – Friday 8:30am – 5pm.
Salary and Benefits
The salary range for this position depends on experience and qualifications. We believe in measuring results, not counting hours. Other benefits include comprehensive health coverage, a retirement savings plan, a performance-based bonus, and reimbursement for Continued Education, Professional Societies, and Professional Registrations. Fast + Epp is an Equal Opportunity Employer.